Leek and Pyengana Dairy Vintage Cheddar Toastie
Featuring - Betta milk, Pyengana Dairy Vintage cheddar
Recipe by Lilly Trewartha
Delicious sweet leeks paired with the creamy Pyengana cheddar are highlighted with a sharp kick from dijon mustard and pickled onions to make the perfect toasted sandwich.
50g Salted Cultured Butter, for melting
2 leeks, thinly sliced and washed well
8 Blue Ribbon pickled onions, thinly sliced
8 thick cut slices sourdough
400g Pyengana Dairy Vintage Cheddar, cut into very thin slices
100g butter, room temperature
Dijon Mustard, to taste
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees to keep sandwiches warm.
- Melt 50g of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 5 min, or until lightly golden and soft. Turn off and leave in the pan while you prepare the sandwiches.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lay out the 8 slices of bread and spread a nice, even layer of butter across all pieces. Set 4 slices aside.
- Flip the remaining 4 slices of bread over so you have an unbuttered side up.
- Cover the bread with a nice, even layer of dijon mustard. You can go a little or a lot here, depending on your taste.
- Layer about one quarter of the leeks over the dijon and top with a quarter of the cheese and pickled onions. Make sure it’s even across the bread.
- Take one of the buttered slices of bread and put it on top of the filling with the buttered side up. Both outsides of the sandwich should be buttered.
- Repeat for the following 3 sandwiches until all ingredients are used.
- Heat a medium size frying pan on low heat and one or two sandwiches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Allow it to crisp and go golden brown. This will take about 5 min, flip and cook on the other side until golden and cheese is melted.
- Do not be tempted to turn up the heat and rush the cooking, as the outside will over cook before the cheese has time to melt.
- Once the toastie is golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, place the toastie on a baking tray in the oven to keep warm while you finish the others. Otherwise serve immediately.
- When ready to serve, cut each toastie in half and serve immediately.