Stuffed Green Olives with Cheddar and Wasabi Cream
Featuring - Betta milk, Pyengana vintage cheddar, Shima wasabi, Meander Valley creme fraiche
Recipe by Lilly Trewartha
Serves 2-4 as a snack
Crispy, salty and creamy, these fried olives make a great snack for entertaining. Fresh wasabi cream works beautifully to compliment these tasty bites.
100g Pyengana Dairy traditional cheddar cheese, cut to fit into olives
20 large green olives, pitted
3 eggs, beaten until smooth
100g plain flour
500ml sunflower oil, for deep-frying
200mL Meander Valley Dairy Crème Fraîche
40g Shima Wasabi fresh wasabi paste
1 lemon, juiced
Sea salt and pepper
- Fill a heavy deep frying pan with 500ml of sunflower oil and heat the oil to 180’C.
- Make the wasabi cream by mixing together crème fraîche, lemon and wasabi paste in a small bowl, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep in mind the olives are salty and the cream should be a refreshing contrast. Set aside.
- For the olives, stuff each olive with a small strip of cheese.
- To prepare for crumbing the olives, put the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs into 3 separate bowls on your work surface.
- Dip the stuffed olives in the flour first, then into the eggs and then finally into the breadcrumbs. Dip the breaded olives back into the eggs and breadcrumbs for a second coat, this will make them extra crisp and keep all the cheese inside.
- Make sure the oil is the right temperature by testing 1 olive. The olive should take about 1 minute to be a nice golden brown colour. If it takes less or more time, adjust the temperature of the oil before cooking the rest of the olives.
- Fry in small batches so they don't touch while frying. Carefully drop each olive into the oil and fry for 1 minute, turning them to brown evenly on all sides.
- Once olives are nice and golden, remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain off excess oil.